- 8 ounces (225 grams) salted butter, cut into cubes*
- 3/4 cup (175 grams) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- Sanding sugar, for dusting
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Continue to cook the butter until it turns deep golden brown. Watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn. Pour the butter into a bowl and chill until solidified.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and grease a 9 or 10 inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Remove the butter from the fridge and let it come back to room temperature. You don’t want it to be liquid at all, but it should still be soft.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract. Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Press the dough into the prepared tart pan. Use a knife to cut dough into 8 wedges and prick the dough with a toothpick or small dowel. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until lightly golden brown, about 1 hour. Use a knife to re-cut the shortbread into wedges while the dough is still hot and soft. Let cool completely before serving.
- Store shortbread at room temperature in an airtight container for several days.
Note: For best results, use a high quality butter.